A while back, a friend needed some help cutting a song for a friend’s wedding. The bride wanted the some parts extended and some cut out. So, the other day, my buddy came over with the song, and we knocked it out in one evening.
I learned that iTunes is the best way to convert its m4a files to WAV files, in which I can work. Then, I learned that nothing is simple. My friend explained the song manipulation that sounded like two or three cuts, which ultimately became over 20 cuts. This is a big deal on an already recorded song when you have to work with the final 2-channel stereo mix (yes redundant description) because in stereo mixes, cuts can easily sound way more obvious than on a individual channels. I also learned that I do not fully understand file handling within Cubase, so I’ll have to focus on learning that. I guess things have a changed a bit in the concept of files and audio regions since the days of Logic 5 (which I proudly used on a PC but then became a Mac-only product forcing me to do what I should have done a long time ago, started and stayed with Steinberg Cubase back in 1995 when I purchased Logic 3).
The funny thing about editing a song like this for a wedding is that I’ve worked a part-time job as custodian for probably 50 weddings, so I am familiar with the entire process of the processional and was able to suggest one thing, such as when he preacher should tell the congregation to rise for the bride. I guess that makes me a good candidate for an engineer for wedding music. Hopefully our final product works out for the bride in practice because we didn’t have enough cycles left to make further changes. Ah, methodologies of project management!